Unless there is a huge hole in their ceiling, most people assume that their roof is in “just fine” condition. Quick glances at a roof will not show you if it is in need of repair or replacement, though. Not if you do not know the telltale signs of a damaged, worn, or weathered roof.
Warning signs that your roof might need maintenance are:
- Shingles are visibly torn, ripped, or curling up from certain spots. Even if one is missing, water that seeps through the gap could spread throughout the woodwork of your home.
- Your roof has “bald spots” where the granules of the shingles have been worn away by the wind, rain, and constant beating of the sun. If you notice a buildup of granules in or around a drain, look up – there is a bald spot somewhere.
- Darkened shingles indicate that mold or moss is growing under or on them. An herbicide solution may be able to remove the mold and restore the shingles to a better condition without requiring total replacement.
- It has been 15-20 years or more since the last time your roof was maintained or replaced. Very few shingle-systems are expected to last more than two decades. Maintenance is the key to preventing a leak.
- Walking on your roof feels like there are sponges or springs underneath your feet. This is indicative of underlying ply boards being soaked with water due to an unnoticed or unaddressed leak.
- Drywall on the interior of your home is discolored. Unless the discoloration is immediately adjacent to a water outlet, like a faucet or showerhead, it is probably due to a roof leak and not a plumbing leak.
If resale value of your home has gone down due to the overall appearance of your home, replacing the roofing can give it a better, brighter look that may bring up the sale price again.
Not sure if your roof is in trouble or not? Contact Lyons Roofing today to ask about getting a free estimate. Our Tucson & Phoenix roofers have 20+ years of industry experience and can complete residential and commercial jobs.