Any type of home improvement or renovation project can be complicated, and when it comes to something as important as your roof, the last thing you want is to hire a company that doesn’t know what they’re doing. There’s a lot to consider when making this decision, from qualifications to past experience to affordability and timelines. Fortunately, Lyons Roofing has you covered. Keep reading to learn what to look for when hiring a roofer, and remember, when all else fails, you can always count on our experienced contractors at Lyons Roofing!
7 Things to Ask The Next Time You Hire a Roofer
- Are You Licensed? You probably wouldn’t hire an unlicensed plumber to put in a new toilet, so why would you go with an unlicensed roofer the next time you need to replace your roof? The good news is that in most states, roofing contractors are required to have a license, though it’s worth remembering that every state is different, so it still pays to do your research before giving just anybody the job. Luckily, at Lyons Roofing, our team is not only licensed, but also fully bonded and insured, so you never have to worry about safety and professionalism with our experienced contractors. And speaking of experience…
- How Long Has Your Company Been in Business? Experience and effectiveness do not always go hand in hand. A young, highly trained roofer is just as capable of getting the job done as an older contractor, especially if they are willing to give you a good rate and put their all into the job. However, experience does carry a lot of weight in the home services industry, and it’s nice to find a company with a certain cache when embarking on something as important as a roof repair. At Lyons Roofing, we have been in business since 1993, and in addition to our almost 30 years of experience, we’re also highly regarded in our community, garnering great reviews from residential and commercial clients alike!
- What Materials Do You Offer? There’s no one right answer when it comes to the question of which roofing material is best. Different homeowners have different needs, but at Lyons Roofing, we believe it’s key to give customers options, so they can explore the full breadth of possibilities available for their revamped roof. For instance, shingles generally last between 20 and 50 years, whereas the average tile material will survive 40-50 years. You could also go with cedar shake roofing, and then there’s the question of whether you want a flat or pitched roof.
- What Will You Do If Bad Weather Strikes While on the Job? You want your roofing job done as soon as possible so you can go back to your life and enjoy the safety and security in your home that your family deserves. However, there are times where a roofing job has to be stopped due to inclement weather. What you want to hear from your roofer in this situation is that they will cover your home in tarps and plastic covers to protect it from the elements and pack up all their equipment as necessary. Any good roofer knows that it is not safe for them or for you to keep going when the weather is bad, and if you’re working with a reliable company, they will come back and finish the job as soon as the skies are clear again.
- What Is the Warranty on My New Roof? A good warranty for the average roof is around 25 years. While this may vary depending on the company you hire, the products being used, and where you live, it is best to discuss warranties upfront, and make sure you have settled on a number you are completely comfortable with before the work has even started.
- Do You Offer Free Estimates? Every roofer worth their salt offers free estimates! This is not only a professional courtesy to you, the customer, it also ensures both parties don’t end up in a situation they are unhappy with down the line. Getting an estimate early on helps guarantee you will be completely satisfied with the ultimate price of your roofing job, and at Lyons Roofing, we are proud to offer free price quotes so you know from the word go that you’ll be getting reliable, quality roofing work.
- What Sets You Apart from Other Roofing Contractors? This is a tough one, as finding that inexplicable quality that sets one seemingly great contractor apart from a similar service provider is extremely difficult. We suggest asking about awards, specials, and general qualifications. For instance, at Lyons Roofing, we are a Better Business Bureau Business Ethics Award-winner, and have been named by SCF Arizona one of the safest companies in the state, in addition to winning ARCA’s 2012 “ Contractor of the Year.” We’re also GAF and CertainTeed “Shingle Master” Certified. And with special promotions for military members and more, it’s hard not to get a great deal on your new roof when you hire Lyons Roofing.