Prevent Structural Damage by Keeping Pests Out
Pests aren’t something you want in your home at any time of the year, but winter pests can be especially obnoxious. You may be aware that a lot of common pests like to hibernate or stay in one place for the winter, but you may not know that your roof and attic are perfect places for pests to wait out the cold. While they’re making themselves at home in your home, winter pests can cause all kinds of damage that compromises the structure of not only your roof but your home as a whole. See why letting pests ret out your attic for the winter isn’t worth the cost, and what you can do to let them know they aren’t welcome.
Winter Pests can Cause All Kinds of Damage, Including:
- Destroyed insulation
- Chewed wiring
- Chewing holes in your roof to get to your attic
- Damaged shingles
- Wood damage
- Blocked roof drainage or ventilation
Tips to Keep Pests Out
- Prune back your shrubs, trees, and bushes so that they don’t get too close to your walls or roof. Squirrels and mice like to use tree branches as springboards to jump onto your roof, and bugs like to hide in bushes!
- Clean out drainage systems and get rid of fallen debris to remove any potential nesting materials for birds.
- Keep trash cans away from your home so that pests don’t have a convenient food source.
- Install barriers like fencing, screening, and wire mesh to close off nooks and crannies around your property that pests could make their homes in. Many hardware stores sell specialized tools that you can install to discourage pests from settling on your roof!
- Get your roof inspected by a professional to identify any vulnerabilities or potential entry points.
Know What Winter Pests to Watch Out For
After you take the necessary steps to defend your roof, it’s still important to stay vigilant. When you see the most common winter pests scurrying around your property, that should be your cue to take a quick look at your pest defense system and make sure that your roof is still safe.
Common Winter Pests Include:
Keep an Eye Out for Warning Signs
Even if you don’t see pests, that doesn’t mean that they haven’t snuck past your defenses. Make sure you know what to look for to identify a potential infestation in your home. Check your attic regularly for warning signs like the ones listed below and call a professional if you suspect that pests are hiding just out of sight.
Signs of a Potential Infestation Include:
- Pest droppings
- Visible tracks
- Nests or burrows on your property
- Gnaw marks and other visible damages
- Chewed-on plants
- Holes in your shingles
- And more!
If you need help protecting your roof from pests, or dealing with the aftermath of an infestation, contact Lyons Roofing online or give us a call at (520) 447-2522. We’ll help you keep the roof over your head stable, intact, and pest-proof!