If you are a homeowner, you probably already know how difficult and time-consuming it can be to keep up with general upkeep. The project of owning a house is never done, and there are always going to be things you need to fix or want to improve. One such thing that’s definitely going to need maintenance if you live on the same property long enough is your roof. However, repairing or replacing your roof can be a tricky process if you belong to a Homeowners Association. Keep reading to learn how to handle roof issues when you’re part of an HOA, and remember that for all your residential roofing needs, you can contact our experienced experts at Lyons Roofing.
5 Tips for Handling Roof Repairs When You Belong to a Homeowners Association
- Call for an Inspection: Before you jump to any conclusions about whether your roof needs to be replaced or even repaired, make sure to contact an experienced roofer for an inspection first. At Lyons Roofing, one of our experienced contractors will be able to take a thorough look at your roof, examining it for missing shingles, damaged siding, any cracks and leaks, as well as a range of other issues. You may want to make a repair to your roof and have to clear it with your HOA, but other times, your HOA may want you to replace your whole roof, even though it only requires a few simple changes. In these cases, it is essential to hire a roofing contractor to see what level of work is actually necessary.
- Always Keep Communicating: The worst thing you could do when negotiating roofing issues with your HOA, or any issues for that matter, is to let the lines of communication shut down. No matter what changes you do or do not want to make to your roof, you will at some point need to present your case to the HOA board, so not communicating is simply not an option. Remember, your HOA is all about maintaining property values in your neighborhood and ensuring the curb appeal of every single home. Making sure to communicate your intentions with your HOA can be the difference between being forced to replace your entire roof and getting permission to simply undergo some roofing maintenance.
- Don’t be Afraid to Ask for an Extension: Emotions can run high when dealing with a Homeowners Association, and there may be times you get frustrated and are tempted to make a rash decision. But remember, time is your friend. If you can’t afford to replace your roof now, ask your HOA for an extension and let them know how much time you need to hire a roofer. Or, if you are interested in upgrading your roof to a different style, and need to get your HOA’s approval, just give them time to think about it, rather than moving ahead with an unapproved replacement.
- Consider Hiring a Lawyer: As we’ve already established, communicating with your HOA and not ignoring their demands is extremely important when it comes to your home’s roofing upgrades or any other changes. But there may be times you have made your request to the board, and waited for them to make a decision, and they still aren’t granting you a favorable outcome. In these instances, it could be time to seek legal counsel. An attorney can help you make the case that you are being singled out by your HOA, or that the HOA’s demands are unreasonable, or that the changes you want to make to your roof actually don’t violate your HOA’s policies. Remember, if there are roofs in the neighborhood that are in worse shape, you shouldn’t be forced to replace yours, and if other homeowners have made recent changes to their roof, your HOA shouldn’t restrict you from doing the same thing. Also, keep in mind that failing to comply with your HOA’s requests for long enough may result in them filing a lien against your property, so if you think things are headed in that direction, call a lawyer ASAP.
- Don’t Give Up Hope: As we have already made clear, dealing with HOAs can be stressful! However, even when things are at their worst, it is important to look on the bright side. As long as you don’t give up hope and your requests are reasonable, HOA disputes can usually be resolved to everyone’s satisfaction. Don’t forget, you deserve a roofing system that works for your needs, and at Lyons Roofing, we are here to help make sure you get exactly that.