Your roof's appearance is a vital part of the overall look of your home. It's the first line of defense, protecting your home from the elements. However, over time, even the most durable roofs can begin to show signs of wear and tear. In this blog post, we'll discuss some ways you can improve the look of your roof while ensuring its long-term health.
Knowing the Difference Between Aesthetic Damage and Repair Issues
Not every minor issue on a roof warrants a repair. Black streaks, for instance, do not necessarily pose a problem to the health of your roof, depending on what is causing them. However, this may look unappealing and affect the beauty of your home. Experienced roofing experts can differentiate between purely aesthetic problems and repair issues and provide options and advice accordingly.
There are a few things you can look for to tell the difference between a repair issue and damage that is purely aesthetic:
- Is the damage causing water to leak into your home or compromising the roof’s overall integrity? If so, it's a repair issue that needs to be addressed as soon as possible.
- Is the damage making your home less energy-efficient? If so, it may be a repair issue that could save you money on your energy bills.
- Is the damage unsightly? If so, it may be aesthetic damage that you can live with or repair if you want to improve the look of your home.
The best way to tell if an appearance change in your roof warrants repair or is just an aesthetic problem is to schedule a professional roof inspection with an experienced, reliable roofing specialist like Lyons Roofing. We can help you identify whether your roof is just experiencing natural discoloration from age or if your shingles are suffering from damage that should be repaired.
Keeping Your Roof Looking Fresh & New
Regular maintenance is essential to keeping your roof looking fresh and new. This includes annual maintenance from experienced roofing professionals to ensure your roof is in good condition and any minor issues are addressed quickly.
But what should you do between visits? It turns out that there is a lot homeowners can do between their professional maintenance visits to keep their roofs in good shape.
DIY tips for keeping your roof in top condition:
- Clean your roof regularly: Arizona homes are prone to dust and debris, so it's important to clean your roof to prevent the buildup of dirt and unwanted particles.
- Keep roof drainage clean: Clogged drainage systems can cause water damage to your roof and lead to the spread of mold and algae or moss growth. This can negatively affect your roof's appearance and integrity.
- Trim overhanging trees: Trees growing near your roof can drop leaves, branches, and other debris that can accumulate and cause damage. Overhanging trees can also allow pests, like squirrels, to gain easier access to your roof. Trimming trees can help prevent this from happening.
- Visually inspect your roof after major weather events: Whenever you experience heavy rainstorms, hail, or other weather events, visually inspect your roof from the ground. If you notice broken shingles, damaged flashing, or other problems, contact a roof repair specialist like Lyons Roofing.
Roofs that have significant damage may need to be replaced. This can include leaks, dry rot, or warping. Replacing your roof can help improve the look of your home and ensure that your home is safe and well-protected from the elements.
At Lyons Roofing, a trusted roofing contractor based in Phoenix and Tucson, we offer expert advice on keeping your roof well-maintained. When you need help with your roof, turn to us.